Re: Forked android kernel development from linux kernel mainline

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Nov 10 2010 - 15:56:53 EST

> alternative, and is higher priority than any other consideration. If
> a product had 33% less battery lifetime, but was developed in
> mainline, would you buy that over a standard product? OK, maybe a

That's if you believe the Google thing that it can't be done any other
way. Which other vendors don't seem to be agree with.

> OTOH, if the original poster thinks that he can develop changes to the
> Android userspace that allow the use of an upstream kernel, and has
> just as good battery lifetime, and with a system which is just as
> debuggable and easy to maintain as the current android userspace, then
> by all means, I would love for him to try to prove that he can. And I
> will certainly be happy to introduce him to the Android developers who
> measure power usage in mobile devices using microwatt meters to see if
> he really can do as good of a job using a stock kernel.

Well actually there is a much better simple reason. One of the things you
get by using a standard kernel is the ability to dump a true Android
environment onto another device that's running something else as well.

I don't quite understand why people play some of the strange games they
do but being able to dump them on arbitary Linux platforms is no doubt
useful.

Alan