Re: [RFC/Requirements/Design] h/w error reporting

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Nov 10 2010 - 14:38:37 EST

On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 19:24 +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> There is lots of code between getting the event and landing it in the
> buffer. The buffer itself is perfectly suited for high speed low
> overhead stuffs, the perf data format possibly not because its not
> bitfield happy.

Question:

Can we make perf lower what it records, thus speeding up the amount it
records, without breaking the ABI?

Can we add flight recorder mode splice version, non mmap, without
breaking the ABI?

If we can make perf as fast as ftrace in its recording, and maybe even
faster if we have the ability to select what is recorded and compress
the events, I'm all for it.

-- Steve