Re: [RFC/Requirements/Design] h/w error reporting

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Nov 10 2010 - 14:11:53 EST

* Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 19:41 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > We'll need to embark on this incremental path instead of a rewrite-the-world
> > thing. As a maintainer my task is to say 'no' to rewrite-the-world approaches -
> > and we can and will do better here.
>
> Thus you are saying that we stick to the status quo, [...]

No, i'm saying we dont do new things just for the sake of it being new, without
exhausting existing facilities.

None of the examples/arguments offered so far seemed to necessiate throwing away
existing stuff.

> [...] and also ignore the fact that perf was a rewrite-the-world from ftrace to
> begin with.

No, the thing is that there were no tools and no ABI - perf was mostly about the ABI
and about the user-space tooling - ftrace didnt really have that (and oprofile had
deep problems).

Thanks,

Ingo