Re: [RFC/Requirements/Design] h/w error reporting

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Nov 10 2010 - 12:49:28 EST

* Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 10:09 -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> >
> > > sure the second way is the only way out, but you still need to come up with a
> > > trace data format and a control ABI.
> >
> > Great! Let's start with that then. Could you list some of the basic needs of
> > perf?
>
> Needs for what? I've already got a full control ABI and I can already redirect
> output to other buffers ;-)

Yep. The obvious direction is to extend the event buffering ABI we already have,
with whatever additions that are needed:

- document that we already support flight recorder mode

- a more compressed record format

- NOP filler events up to page boundary, for better splice and for better flight
recorder

- splice support

etc. That's how it evolved until now and it's all very extensible.

Steve, could you please list the additions you have in mind, in order of priority?

Thanks,

Ingo