Re: regression since 2.6.36: backlight in sony-laptop not working

From: Mattia Dongili
Date: Tue Nov 09 2010 - 23:06:51 EST

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 11:29:15PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Mattia, hi all,
>
> (please keep me in Cc)
>
> when switching from 2.6.36 to 2.6.37-rc1(+git) I realize that I cannot
> adjust the backlight anymore. Before this was possible with the
> Fn-F5 and Fn-F6 keys, but now nothing happens.

It's ages sony_laptop doesn't change, it may be some other change in the
acpi layer that causes this.

> acpi_listen does not issue anything when these keys are pressed.

How about the input layer? /proc/acpi/event is deprecated and you should
not rely on that.
But anyway, it's a Fn key issue, not backlight control itself, right?
Can you change brightness echoing to the sysfs files directly?

> Is there any obvious oversight from my side?

don't know, can you bisect it?

> config is attached.

can you attach dmesg output after loading sony_laptop with debug=1 and
pressing the brightness keys?
--
mattia
:wq!