Re: Forked android kernel development from linux kernel mainline

From: david
Date: Tue Nov 09 2010 - 13:42:48 EST

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010, Elvis Dowson wrote:

Hi Greg,

On Nov 9, 2010, at 10:24 PM, Greg KH wrote:

If you have the rights to make the changes to the andoid userspace code,
great. Otherwise you are not going to get very far.

Isn't the whole Android stack licensed under Apache 2.0? Doesn't everyone
have full access to the android userspace code?

In your slides, you made several references to only google developers being
able to modify the low-level libraries, which I admit I still don't understand.

If we have full access to the source under an Apache 2.0 license, what would
prevent us from making the required modifications and re-releasing the
modified sources under the same Apache 2.0 license?

you can modify them, but unless those modifications get used, what good are they?

David Lang