Re: [next-20101038] Call trace in ext4

From: Ted Ts'o
Date: Thu Oct 28 2010 - 16:37:22 EST

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 10:15:00PM +0200, Sedat Dilek wrote:

> I created a new ext4.ko via "make M=fs/ext4" in the build-dir and
> copied the the kernel-module to /lib/modules/$(uname
> -r)/kernel/fs/ext4/, is that not enough?

It might not be. Some distributions include modules in the initial
ramdisk, and load the module from the initrd, simply dropping the
module in /lib/modules/<kver>/... might not be enough. So recreating
the initrd and then rebooting might be enough.

Certainly if you drop it there on a running kernel, if you don't
unload the module (before unmounting all of your ext4 file systems),
and then reload the module, *definitely* just copying a module into
/lib/modules.... without making sure the module is reloaded, you'll
still have the old module.

- Ted