Re: v2.6.36-rc8..v2.6.36 regression on NULL pointer deference atdisk_replace_part_tbl+0x32

From: Alan Stern
Date: Thu Oct 28 2010 - 14:26:22 EST

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've filled out a bug report for a regression when I enable USB tether
> > on my Nexus One when hooked up to my laptop. I get a NULL pointer
> > dereference. This is a regression between v2.6.36-rc8 and v2.6.36. I
> > will bisect when I get a chance.

> Odd, I get 0 results with a:
>
> git log v2.6.36-rc8..v2.6.36 scsiglue.c protocol.c transport.c usb.c
> initializers.c sierra_ms.c option_ms.c
>
> So the issue must be elsewhere unless there was a subsystem change
> that triggered a new issue on usb-storage.

What makes you think this bug has anything at all to do with
usb-storage? The fact that you saw it with a USB drive has very little
to do with anything.

With a problem like this, which crosses so many subsystem boundaries
(USB, storage, SCSI, block), you shouldn't make any assumptions. Just
do a complete bisection.

Alan Stern