tar.gz and tar.bz2 files of linux kernel on ftp.kernel.org

From: Tarkan Erimer
Date: Thu Oct 28 2010 - 03:28:41 EST

Why there are two different (tar.gz and tar.bz2) kind of compressed linux kernel on ftp.kernel.org ?

One kind of (.tar.bz2 or .tar.xz etc.) compressed file, probably, will be enough for everybody. Personally, I always download the .tar.bz2 one because of its shorter file length compared to .tar.gz. If it's needed to have two different kind of compressed linux kernel because of some extraordinary situations, maybe we have to consider other better options like .tar.xz for instance. I did a quick comparison between .tar.bz2 and tar.xz compressed linux-2.6.36. Here is what I found :

linux-a9un:/home/tarkane/Downloads # ls -alh linux-2.6.36.tar.*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 68M Oct 21 09:14 linux-2.6.36.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 59M Oct 28 09:54 linux-2.6.36.tar.xz
linux-a9un:/home/tarkane/Downloads #

As seen above, .tar.xz has better ratio (%13.24 smaller sized file than .tar.bz2.) than the .tar.bz2 one. So,if it could be an, at least, an option to offer .tar.xz compressed kernel, we could have the following benefits :

- Better usage of ftp.kernel.org's and downloaders' (Some people use bandwidth limited Internet connections.) internet bandwidth.
- Better disk space usage on ftp.kernel.org servers due to more smaller file sizes.
- It will reduce the load on ftp.kernel.org servers due to shorter download times.

I will be happy to hear your opinions about it. :-)

Tarkan