More details - Re: i915 module with modeset=1 freezes machine (kernels2.6.33 and 2.6.36)

From: Wojtek Zabolotny
Date: Wed Oct 27 2010 - 04:08:57 EST

I have tried to boot my desktop machine (chipset 82865G with agpgart and i915 compiled into kernel) with i915.modeset=0
In this case machine works, but X work only with vesa driver.

Browsing reports about similar problems I have found suggestion to use i915.modeset=1 i915.powersave=0
unfortunately this also leads to black screen and freeze of machine.

In my laptop machine (chipset 945GM with agpgart and intel_agp and i915 compiled as modules), when I reload i915 with modeset=1 it causes immediate black screen and freeze (the value of powersave parameter does not change the behaviour of my system).

I have also found some info that the problem may be related to detection of lid switch (in laptop) - I tried to press and release the lid switch in my laptop machine - this switched the backlight on, but system was still frozen and unaccessible.