Re: Adding more stuff to devres.

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Tue Oct 26 2010 - 05:30:52 EST

Adding Brandon, Hi.

On 10/25/2010 05:52 PM, Alexey Zaytsev wrote:
> Would it be a good idea to get things other than resources managed by
> the devres?
>
> In my probe() method, I still have to handle alloc_netdev() and
> mdiobus_alloc(). Adding corresponding devm_ functions should be
> trivial. So, should I prepare the patches, or is there something wrong
> with the approach?

Hmmm... Unless alloc_netdev() and mdiobus_alloc() are allocating
something special, I think it probably would be better to make them
use devres. Please take a look at how ata_host_alloc() and
ata_host_start() are doing it.

IIRC, Brandon spent some time thinking about how use devres on network
drivers. Brandon, any ideas?

Thanks.

--
tejun