Re: [GIT] trivial

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Oct 24 2010 - 16:47:54 EST

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Jiri Kosina <jkosina@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> please pull from 'for-next' branch at
>
>  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jikos/trivial.git for-next

Pulled. With one modification: I didn't take the top merge commit.

I _really_ prefer to see the clashes myself, and the extra merges just
make history less readable. So if the conflicts are trivial, please
don't pre-merge stuff - it just hides things from me.

Now, admittedly the things it hides shouldn't matter for something
like the trivial tree, but at the same time, exactly because it's the
trivial tree I would also expect the conflicts to be really trivial,
so I'd rather just have people follow the general rule of "please
don't pre-merge" regardless.

It's a good idea to perhaps do a private merge just to see how nasty
things are, and to perhaps give me a heads-up (and maybe even export
the pre-merged thing as a "btw, if you're lazy and don't care about
the conflicts, you can pull this other pre-merged branch" branch). But
on the whole, I tend to find the conflicts to be the most telling
parts of any merge, and be a good hint about what development trees
clashed with each other.

Linus