perf timechart segfault

From: Sitsofe Wheeler
Date: Sun Oct 24 2010 - 12:23:32 EST

Hi,

I've run into a couple of issues using perf timechart:

1. (On 2.6.36) If I issue
echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid
as root before running
perf timechart record echo
as a normal user the following is printed:

Fatal: Permission error - are you root?
Consider tweaking /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid.

Shouldn't it just say it needs root permissions for a timechart
record?

2. (On -tip) Running
perf timechart record echo
outputs
invalid or unsupported event: 'power:power_start'
Run 'perf list' for a list of valid events

3. (On 2.6.36) I can't seem to convince timechart to ever capture more
than 34000 samples. When trying to record using
perf timechart record -fga sleep 10
and then creating a graph using perf timechart, it only ever outputs
a few seconds worth.

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/