Re: 2.6.36, make oldconfig broken

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat Oct 23 2010 - 09:41:22 EST

hi Gene,

* Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Please send your 2.6.35.7 .config file so that we can generate & see the
> > changes.
>
> Attached Randy, & many thanks.
>
> Just for S&G I overwrote the generated .config in the 2.6.36 tree with these
> files, and ran a make xconfig, which bitched about line 3109, and which I don't
> recall ever playing with, "RAR_REGISTER" IIRC, so I saved it without any other
> changes and built/installed & booted from that now.

In case it's useful: i take old .config's and put them into new kernels all the
time, and i very much depend on configured drivers and options not going away
suddenly. I know lots of other developers depend on that as well.

In the hundreds or so cases i've done this manually in the past few years i only
remember less than 5 cases where this didnt work in an 'as expected' way.

So this should really work for you. If it doesnt when going from 2.6.35 to 2.6.36
then that's very likely a bug somewhere which we want to fix ...

Thanks,

Ingo