Re: 2.6.36, make oldconfig broken

From: Ken Moffat
Date: Fri Oct 22 2010 - 21:37:41 EST

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 02:20:17PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On 10/22/10 13:08, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> > But I'll be interested in what you get. Its stuff like this that have made
> > me wary of downloading the kernel images in .bz2 formats, too many times I
> > have had to go back and get the .gz version because the unpacking of the
> > .bz2 upchucked and silently threw away a subdir tree, and only a fresh
> > download fixes it, blowing it away and unpacking the bz2 again will only fix
> > it occasionally. I started with the tar.gz of course this time.
>
> Curiouser and curiouser.
> I always download & build from .bz2 tarballs, with no problems.

On my own x86 machines, I can remember seeing apparently corrupted
.tar.bz2 files twice in the last eight-or-so years. In each case,
untarring reported an error, it didn't silently lose files and
directories, and in each case the problem was failing memory.

In Gene's case, I recommend running memtest86 or better ('+') as
soon as possible. On my problematic x86 boxes, memtest86 started to
report errors within a minute or so of starting. If it runs for a
whole cycle, the memory is probably ok.

ken