Re: On Linux numbering scheme

From: Athanasius
Date: Fri Oct 22 2010 - 06:11:22 EST

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 03:00:06AM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 07:06:23PM -0500, kevin granade wrote:
>
> > Any particular reason not to continue the date-oriented format and
> > have the third number be the numerical representation of the month
> > rather than an incrementing numbering of the releases? It would still
> > be monotonically increasing, which is the only requirement, right?
>
> Why do we need to change it, anyway?

/agree

For the most part it's only distribution maintainers that see or care
about the kernel version number anyway. Anyone else knows what they're
getting into if they compile a kernel themselves, and otherwise is more
likely to say they're using "Linux 10.10" right now ....

Having said that I had a lovely suggestion in the last round on this
topic which would allow you to know when a kernel was released just from
its version number :).

--
- Athanasius = Athanasius(at)miggy.org / http://www.miggy.org/
Finger athan(at)fysh.org for PGP key