Re: Disable L1/L2/L3 cache and MTRR

From: Andev
Date: Thu Oct 21 2010 - 17:50:27 EST

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Now when I run some sample benchmarks they show a slowdown of almost 1000x!!
>>
>> This is not reasonable since the max. The slowdown I was expecting is 200x
>> considering that it will take 200 cycles to read from DRAM.
>
> Assuming the cache was completely disabled, won't the impact be
> cumulative? E.g. imagine a memory read takes one cycle from cache and
> 100 from main memory. If you read 5 instructions from cache that will
> take 5 cycles. If you read 5 instructions from main memory that will be
> 5*100 so 500 cycles. If it is 10 instructions then it is 10 vs 1000 and
> so on...
>
> Are you searching for an improvement in determinism?

Yes, if that was so, the slowdown is still 100x.

In my test case, I removed all the entries from /proc/mtrr and also
disabled L1/L2/L3 caches.
When I run a benchmark which runs for 4 sec with cache, it takes
almost 3000 secs without cache.

I think I am messing up the /proc/mtrr file.

Regards,
Andev.