Re: Ftrace: can trace kthread?

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Thu Oct 21 2010 - 09:32:08 EST

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 12:12 +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 16:59 +0800, Figo.zhang wrote:
> > > I just
> > > echo 0 > tracing_enabled

I need to remove that file. "tracing_enabled" is pretty much deprecated,
just use tracing_on to enable and disable the trace recording.

> > > echo function > current_tracer
> > > echo 374(pid of flush) > set_ftrace_pid
> > > echo 1 > tracing_enabled
> > > wait some time
> > > echo 0 > tracing_enabled
> > > cat trace
> > >
> > > So I think this answer your question "could kthread be traced?"
> >
> > i do it the same of you.
>
> > but i canot trace nothing.
>
> Your initial attempt had:
>
> echo kswapd > /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/set_graph_function

Yeah, that wont work. That's because kswapd() is called at system
startup and goes into a loop. The function graph tracer will never see
that function again (it's not called again). It can't know what function
it is in, only what functions it enters.

-- Steve