Re: oom_killer crash linux system

From: Adam Jiang
Date: Wed Oct 20 2010 - 01:05:56 EST

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:43:45AM +0800, Figo.zhang wrote:

> > > active_anon:398375 inactive_anon:82967 isolated_anon:0
> > > active_file:81 inactive_file:429 isolated_file:32
> > > unevictable:13 dirty:2 writeback:14 unstable:0
> > > free:11942 slab_reclaimable:2391 slab_unreclaimable:3303
> > > mapped:5617 shmem:33909 pagetables:2280 bounce:0
> >
> > active_anon + inactive_anon + isolated_anon = 481342 pages ~= 1.8GB
> > Um, this oom doesn't makes accounting lost.
> >
> > > total 515071 2011
> >
> > page-types show similar result.
> >

> > The big difference is, previous and current are showing some different processes.
> > only previous has VirtualBox, only current has vmware-usbarbit, etc..
> >
> > Can you use same test environment?
> yes, it is the same desktop, and i open some pdf files and applications
> by random.
>
> but when my desktop eat up to 1.8GB RAM (active_anon + inactive_anon +
> isolated_anon = 481342 pages >= 1.8GB), the system became extraordinary
> slow. when i move the mouse, the mouse cant move a little on screen. i
> deem it have "crashed", but i ping it's ip by other desktop, it is ok.
>
> so what is apect affect the system seem to "crashed", page-writeback?
> page-reclaimed? and the oom-killer seem to be very conservative? in
> that condition , oom_killer must kill some process to release memory for
> new process.

I think it just simply the test caused system *almost* dead but not
really trigger oom-killer. You have 2GB RAM, right. 0.2G is a huge
amount of memory for Linux kernel.

If you do want to test the new oom-killer, you can just right a simple
program to allocate memory continues but make different instances to
eat memory in different paces. Then, you can find out who will be killed
first eventually.

/Adam