Re: Deadlock possibly caused by too_many_isolated.

From: Minchan Kim
Date: Mon Oct 18 2010 - 22:16:25 EST

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:03 AM, KOSAKI Motohiro
<kosaki.motohiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Can you please elaborate your intention? Do you think Wu's approach is wrong?
>>
>> No. I think Wu's patch may work well. But I agree Andrew.
>> Couldn't we remove the too_many_isolated logic? If it is, we can solve
>> the problem simply.
>> But If we remove the logic, we will meet long time ago problem, again.
>> So my patch's intention is to prevent OOM and deadlock problem with
>> simple patch without adding new heuristic in too_many_isolated.
>
> But your patch is much false positive/negative chance because isolated pages timing
> and too_many_isolated_zone() call site are in far distance place.

Yes.
How about the returning *did_some_progress can imply too_many_isolated
fail by using MSB or new variable?
Then, page_allocator can check it whether it causes read reclaim fail
or parallel reclaim.
The point is let's throttle without holding FS/IO lock.

> So, if anyone don't say Wu's one is wrong, I like his one.

I am not against it and just want to solve the problem without adding new logic.

--
Kind regards,
Minchan Kim