Re: Linux 2.6.35/TIPC 2.0 ABI breaking changes [was: TIPC 2.0 and TIPC_SUB_SERVICE]

From: Paul Gortmaker
Date: Mon Oct 18 2010 - 16:42:41 EST

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Leandro Lucarella <luca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Leandro Lucarella, el 18 de octubre a las 12:04 me escribiste:
>> This means D can't be used to write code that uses TIPC if you target
>> kernels >= 2.6.35 (unless they write their own bindings, or at least use
>> a custom TIPC_SUB_SERVICE constant). I could change the TIPC_SUB_SERVICE
>> value, but then people using older kernels will be screwed. Another
>> option is to use the version statement (kind of like C's #ifdef):
>>
>>       version (TIPC_2_0)
>>               const TIPC_SUB_SERVICE = 0x00;
>>       else
>>               const TIPC_SUB_SERVICE = 0x02;
>
> I keep finding problems with this change. Another, no D-related, problem
> with this change is old code could be silently (and very subtly) broken
> if they check for TIPC_SUB_SERVICE as a flag with something like:
>
>        if (s.filter & TIPC_SUB_SERVICE)
>                /* do something */
>
> Because TIPC_SUB_SERVICE has changed its semantics, not just its value,
> and the new value (0x00) will give you always 0 in that test. This one
> is really tricky, because the application code will fail silently, there
> will be no dmesg indication of a failure, nor the connection to the
> topology service be closed. You might get a compiler warning if you're
> lucky.

If you have access to the user space code in question, you can just
switch behaviour semantics based on the results of a uname call, knowing
that this change was included in versions since approx last Feb. There
is also /proc/version which can be parsed manually if you prefer.

If you have kernel code/modules, you can do the same/similar things with
the KERNEL_VERSION and its support macros.

In either case, you don't have to restrict yourself to information that is
specific to and/or exported just from TIPC itself.

Hope that helps,
Paul.