Re: Question: how to copy to user space from a tasklet

From: Tom Brown
Date: Mon Oct 18 2010 - 14:02:14 EST

On 18/10/2010 18:01, Stefan Richter wrote:
Tom Brown wrote:
Thanks, think I'm there:

1 - The user calls mmap() with a specific offset to flag that he wants a
DMA buffer

2 - I then 'vmalloc' the buffer, and call 'setPageReserved' for each page

I then step over each page, and:

3 - call 'vmalloc_to_pfn' to get a PFN for each page, and then

4 - call 'remap_page_range' for that page (I instead call
'remap_pfn_range' for kernels>= 2.6.10, but I'm on 2.6.9)

This gives me the buffer, and the interrupt handler then just uses
'memcpy' to copy data to the user.

I would have thought of a bunch of alloc_page() and vm_insert_page() but I
don't know if vm_insert_page exists in 2.6.9 and if it honors user limits.

It turns out that I'm getting occasional

"BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ...[buffer address]"

oops when the driver attempts to 'memcpy' to the buffer, so I think 'setPageReserved' is probably not the right thing to do. This is strange - it's almost as if 'setPageReserved' stops the page being swapped out, but the kernel doesn't know this.

I'll look into alloc_page/vm_insert_page instead.

Thanks -

Tom