Re: ima: use of radix tree cache indexing == massive waste ofmemory?

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Sun Oct 17 2010 - 10:00:00 EST

On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 09:12 -0400, Eric Paris wrote:
> We could split this into 2 structures, thus greatly shrinking the size
> of the structure needed for the default/disabled case,

Well, it does suck it needs to bloat data and code when its effectively
disabled. Isn't there a way to gather this data before we enable it, eg.
scan the files list on enable or somesuch?

I mean, if you mandate an external storage you might as well extend
struct inode, that's cheaper in each respect.

Me, I'm henceforth making sure to have CONFIG_IMA disabled...

> but it doesn't
> help the fact that the suggested structure for storage (the radix
> tree) is apparently quite inefficient. I'd love to hear other
> suggestions for a better structure....

radix tree is efficient for dense sets, not sparse sets.