Re: [RFC] arch generic way to trigger unknown NMIs

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Sat Oct 16 2010 - 12:15:23 EST

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

> Hi Maciej, the send_IPI_self could be modified to send NMI (at moment it
> uses self shortcut with fixed delivery mode). The question is rather if
> we need it without a real caller yet. When Don's patch gets merged we
> will have a real caller then and could update send_IPI_self to support
> NMI delivery mode. Something like that :)

Sounds backwards to me. My understanding is a need has just arisen, so
why not:

1. Update send_IPI_self().

2. Add code that makes use of the new functionality.

3. Submit all the changes as self-contained patches in a single series to
be applied at the same time.

? That's what I'd imagine the most natural way of doing this would be.

Maciej