Re: [patch] x86: allow ZONE_DMA to be configurable

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu Oct 14 2010 - 00:46:14 EST

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> I guess that qualifies (barely, arguably, but let's not go there) as
> something that would be able to be carried under CONFIG_EMBEDDED
> (certainly not without).

I'm not running a CONFIG_EMBEDDED kernel and I'm pretty sure Casey isn't
either, so we'd still need to carry our own patches to change the Kconfig
bool line anyway.

I'm suprised that we can't allow users who definitively know that they
have no hardware limitations the ability to disable ZONE_DMA. Would a
strong caution in the Kconfig "help" text suffice or will you not be
convinced?