Re: [RFC] perf: Dwarf cfi based user callchains

From: Frank Ch. Eigler
Date: Wed Oct 13 2010 - 11:13:48 EST

Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [...]
> This brings dwarf cfi based callchain for userspace apps that don't have
> frame pointers.

Interesting approach!

> [...]
> - it's slow. A first improvement to make it faster is to support binary
> search from .eh_frame_hdr.

In systemtap land, we did find a dramatic improvement from this too.

Have you measured the cost of transcribing of potentially large chunks
of the user stacks? We did not seriously evaluate this path, since we
encounter megabyte+ stacks in larger userspace apps, and copying THAT
out seemed absurd.

- FChE