Re: Doing a zero-copy move of data from a kernel buffer to hard disk

From: Neeraj Kumar
Date: Mon Oct 11 2010 - 20:58:58 EST

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Neeraj Kumar wrote:
>> I am trying to move data from a buffer in kernel space into the hard
>> disk without having to incur any additional copies from kernel buffer to
>> user buffers or any other kernel buffers. Any ideas/suggestions would be
>> most helpful.
>>
>> The use case is basically a demux driver which collects data into a
>> demux buffer in kernel space and this buffer has to be emptied
>> periodically by copying the contents into a FUSE-based partition on the
>> disk. As the buffer gets full, a user process is signalled which then
>> determines the sector numbers on the disk the contents need to be copied
>> to.
>>
>> I was hoping to mmap the above demux kernel buffer into user address
>> space and issue a write system call to the raw partition device. But
>> from what I can see, the this data is being cached by the kernel on its
>> way to the Hard Disk driver. And so I am assuming that involves
>> additional copies by the linux kernel.

>Isn't this functionality already served by relayfs?

I could not figure out how relayfs could help me.

>> At this point I am wondering if there is any other mechansim to do this
>> without involving additional copies by the kernel. I realize this is an
>> unsual usage scenario for non-embedded environments, but I would
>> appreciate any feedback on possible options.
>>
>> BTW - I have tried using O_DIRECT when opening the raw partition, but
>> the subsequent write call fails if the buffer being passed is the
>> mmapped buffer.

>The other zero-copy mechanism is splice(2).

I looked at the implementation of splice(). It looks promising. I have 2 more
questions related to it:
1. SPLICE_F_MOVE which is needed for zero copy movement of pages is defined as
no op in the kernel code.
Does splice still tries for zero copy movement?

2. I may need to implement splice_read() and splice_write() for the demux
driver. I did not find any other
driver making use of these interfaces in the kernel except file system. Is
there any sample code available
which could help me to understand/implement splice() interfaces in a better way?

Thanks,
Miklos