cifs or win, who is slow ?

From: J.A. Magallón
Date: Sun Oct 10 2010 - 19:36:12 EST

Hi all...

I have a curious problem sharing files with windows.
I have a home linus desktop/server, my main box, and a Win7 HTPC.
I share files from linux via samba. I auto-mount the htpc drive
from linux via cifs filesystem.
Both are connected to a WRT320N router, running dd-wrt. Wired network
is gigabit in both boxes.

Now the weird part. If I read or write files from the linux box to the
win drive automounted on linux, I get speeds in the order of 8 Mbits/s.
If I do the same from the win box to samba in the linuz box, I get 70 Mbits
thoughput. Both reading and writing.
So operating from the linux box through cifs is much slower than working
from the win box through samba.
But....
if I access the window share without the automounter, just through the
Network browsing feature in Gnome, I get again good speeds, about 40 Mbits/s.

Mount state is the same, whatever the method I use to acces the windows
drive:

//htpc/media/ /net/htpc/media cifs rw,relatime,unc=\\htpc\media,username=media,uid=3001,forceuid,gid=3000,forcegid,addr=192.168.1.20,file_mode=0664,dir_mode=0775,serverino,rsize=16384,wsize=57344 0 0

Anybody has noticed this ? Any clue ?
Is Linux CIFS slow or is win7 server slow ?

TIA

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com> \ Software is like sex:
\ It's better when it's free