Re: Firmware versioning best practices: ath3k-2.fw rename or replaceath3k-1.fw ?

From: Suraj Sumangala
Date: Fri Oct 08 2010 - 13:27:28 EST

Hi Luis,

On 10/8/2010 10:32 PM, Luis Rodriguez wrote:
Suraj,

What is the difference between ath3k-2.fw and ath3k-1.fw ?

This is the same question for which I have been trying to get an answer.
The only information that I got was it fixes some critical bug and support shared antenna.

If ath3k-2.fw is an upgrade of ath3k-1.fw why do we need to name it differently?

Won't the API change now that you are addressing the sflash
configuration fix? Would it not help to identify the two
different firmwares then?

David, Marcel, what are your preferences for a firmware upgrade
where the firmware does not change API (lets just pretend it does
not for a moment) ? Do we keep the same filename?

Marcel had answered me before. It makes sense to have same file name.
Other ways we end up changing the driver whenever there is a firmware change.

In this particular case I would assume our new sflash configuration
fix that might be being worked on might change the re-enumerated
USB device IDs so it seems to me a good idea to use a new filename.
I should note ath3k-2.fw already made it to linux-firmware.git...

I last tried to document a thread we had over this here:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation/firmware-versioning

Does this sound sane? If so then the sflash configuration fix
would seem to me like it would require a new filename. Now, while
we're at it, how about bug fixes?

Suraj -- keep these discussions public please....

Luis

Regards
Suraj