Re: [tip:perf/urgent] perf, x86: Catch spurious interrupts afterdisabling counters

From: Cyrill Gorcunov
Date: Wed Sep 29 2010 - 12:48:48 EST

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 06:32:46PM +0200, Robert Richter wrote:
> On 29.09.10 11:51:02, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 07:45:28PM +0400, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> > > Btw, since x86 architectural and p4 are using same tests for
> > > running I presume better to have some helper rather then
> > > open coded pile?
>
> I rather tend to merge the x86 and p4 handler, the code is almost the
> same.

There are still some difference which would require if() in code depending
on which real cpu code is running, that is why I didn't merge it in a first
place. And branch misprediction penalty might worth to not merge such
critical path. On the other hands perhaps we might look into "alternatives"
and just nopify some calls early in cpu initialization.

> -Robert
>
> --
> Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
> Operating System Research Center