Re: [tip:perf/urgent] perf, x86: Catch spurious interrupts afterdisabling counters

From: Robert Richter
Date: Wed Sep 29 2010 - 09:39:48 EST

On 29.09.10 09:13:30, Stephane Eranian wrote:

> for_each_set_bit(bit, (unsigned long *)&status, X86_PMC_IDX_MAX) {
> struct perf_event *event = cpuc->events[bit];
>
> handled++;
>
> if (!test_bit(bit, cpuc->active_mask))

/* spurious interrupt here */

> continue;
> }
>
> I think the logic is similar. What makes the difference, it seems, is that
> handled is incremented unconditionally if the ovfl_mask says it has
> an overflow, i.e., before active_mask is checked.

Note that we can use here for_each_set_bit() since we have the status
mask. So we may increment handled always.

On AMD we use for_each_counter(), but only check active counters to
avoid unnecessary rdmsrl()s for unused counters. But here, we only can
increment handled if we detect an overflow or if we know a counter was
disabled.

> On Westmere, we've seen situations where the overflow mask and active
> mask did not agree.

It's the 'spurious interrupt' branch above.

> On counter disable, the overflow mask bit is not cleared, thus one may iterate
> in the loop and fail the active_mask. But handled would be incremented in that
> case, so that would behave like in your patch.

Right, spurious interrupts are counted and a 'handled' is returned.

-Robert

--
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Operating System Research Center