Re: {painfully BISECTED} Please revert f25c80a4b2: arch/um/drivers:remove duplicate structure field initialization

From: Boaz Harrosh
Date: Wed Sep 29 2010 - 04:41:39 EST

On 09/28/2010 10:57 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Andrew Morton
> <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> And I misread that, assuming that it's just a wrapper around
>> eth_mac_addr(). Only it isn't, because it passes eth_mac_addr() the
>> MAC address's address directly (with ->sa_data). But eth_mac_addr()
>> expects a `struct sockaddr *'.
>>
>> And for some wtf reason, eth_mac_addr() passes that `struct
>> sockaddr *' in a `void *', thus cunningly hiding the bug.
>>
>> Yeah, please revert it.
>
> Well, the alternative would be to just fix uml_net_set_mac(). The code
> before the patch was clearly crap too, so reverting may make it work,
> but gets us back to a stupid situation with two different initializers
> for one field.
>
> So perhaps something like the attached patch would make it work, and
> have the locking in place that apparently people think it should have?
>
> Boaz?

OK I get the picture. We should attempt a proper fixing. Well since
I get to test it, then I get to fix it as well, right ;-)?

With this I'm now back to my usual: boots fine but half of the times
not halting. But I think that's a Fedora12 problem with interaction
with uml. (Which I do not have time to investigate)

> Linus

Thanks, have a good day
Boaz