Re: HDMI open source to handle audio/video/CEC in one driver

From: Ben Gamari
Date: Tue Sep 28 2010 - 18:35:14 EST

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:07:40 -0700, Raymond Liu <raymondliu3linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Ben and Guennadi,
>
> Really appreciate your inputs.
>
> For temporarily short term purpose (we already had a driver but it did
> not fit into any of these you mentioned), what is the process we
> should follow to make it an "open source"?

Well, "release early, release often" is a good mantra to follow. Even if
you think the code is not ready, it never does any harm to put it up
somewhere for folks to look at under an open source license (GPL would
be a good idea if you are looking to merge upstream).

If you are serious about bringing a usable driver to the masses you
should clean up the code and adapt it to fit into one of the existing
frameworks for exposing graphics devices, along with bringing the driver
into conformance with the Linux kernel style guidelines. Once the driver
is beginning to look ready to merging upstream you can request that it
be pulled into the -staging tree. When you think the driver is ready for
inclusion in the kernel you can request merging upstream and start the
code review process.

- Ben