Re: Trying to reset a PCIe device and scratching my head...

From: Clemens Ladisch
Date: Tue Sep 28 2010 - 03:27:25 EST

Jimmie Mayfield wrote:
> Having the PCIe interface implemented inside FPGA 'A' makes upgrading
> that particular FPGA rather troublesome. In a perfect world, one would
> be able to upgrade the FPGA without having to reboot the machine. The
> hardware guys have designed the card to reload that FPGA image upon a
> slot reset...either fundamental or hot.
>
> So I'd like to be able to send either a fundamental or hot reset to the
> device but so far I've had no success.

The PCIe AER driver (drivers/pci/pcie/aer/) sends a hot reset when
it has received a fatal error. As far as I can tell, it just sets the
PCI_BRIDGE_CTL_BUS_RESET bit of the upstream bridge; everything else
is just infrastructure to handle error reporting and to notify the
device driver about the reset.

Regards,
Clemens