Re: Default zone_reclaim_mode = 1 on NUMA kernel is bad for file/email/web servers

From: KOSAKI Motohiro
Date: Sun Sep 26 2010 - 22:05:07 EST

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:01:32 +0900 (JST)
> KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Yes, sadly intel motherboard turn on zone_reclaim_mode by default. and
> > current zone_reclaim_mode doesn't fit file/web server usecase ;-)
> >
> > So, I've created new proof concept patch. This doesn't disable zone_reclaim
> > at all. Instead, distinguish for file cache and for anon allocation and
> > only file cache doesn't use zone-reclaim.
> >
> > That said, high-end hpc user often turn on cpuset.memory_spread_page and
> > they avoid this issue. But, why don't we consider avoid it by default?
> >

> > Rob, I wonder if following patch help you. Could you please try it?
> >

> > Subject: [RFC] vmscan: file cache doesn't use zone_reclaim by default
> >

> Hm, can't we use migration of file caches rather than pageout in
> zone_reclaim_mode ? Doent' it fix anything ?

Doesn't.

Two problem. 1) Migration makes copy. then it's slower than zone_reclaim=0
2) Migration is only effective if target node has much free pages. but it
is not generic assumption.

For this case, zone_reclaim_mode=0 is best. my patch works as second best.
your one works as third.

If you have more concern, please let us know it.