Re: Long maintenance kernel versions.

From: Geoffrey Said
Date: Fri Sep 24 2010 - 01:43:00 EST

Thanks for the prompt reply,

but this puts us at a disadvantage as we will not know which kernel
will be long term supported when starting the development process.

Take our case for the 34 kernel. I knew that SuSE were going to use
the 34 kernel in their 11.3 and since it was the latest we started
work on the integration. Now after the work is almost over, we hear
that it will not be maintained anymore and we need to move to 35. I
do not think that this is a good system for people like us which have
limited resources at their disposal.

Can I suggest that their is a road map and long term maintenance
kernels are ear marked before hand by the major Linux distributions?
This will enable us to wait and integrate kernels fully confident that
they will be long term supported.

Thanks
Geoffrey Said

--