ext3 filesystem corruption in user mode linux

From: Chris Frey
Date: Fri Sep 24 2010 - 00:35:33 EST

Hi,

I'm running a stock 2.6.35.4 kernel, on both the host and the guest.

For one test, I've loaded a stage3 gentoo system including portage,
created completely on the host, using dd, a 10gig sparse virtual disk,
mkfs.ext3, and the gentoo tarballs. (I get fs corruption with Ubuntu
guests as well).

If I do some heavy CPU and disk work in the guest, something like this:

# (cd /usr && tar cjf - portage) | tar xjf -
# rm -rf portage

Then the filesystem corrupts itself, giving errors like the following
in dmesg, during the rm:

EXT3-fs error (device ubda): ext3_lookup: deleted inode referenced: 51715

I've posted my kernel configs online here:

Host: http://foursquare.net/kernel/host-config.txt
UML: http://foursquare.net/kernel/uml-config.txt

I'm not sure what the next debugging step should be. I can test different
versions of UML kernels, or test patches, if more testing is needed.

Thanks,
- Chris