Re: scheduling while atomic: br2684ctl (atm)

From: chas williams - CONTRACTOR
Date: Wed Sep 22 2010 - 15:01:17 EST

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 00:42:29 -0700 (PDT)
Mikko Vinni <mmvinni@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I get the following message apparently every time (on 2.6.36-rc4+ at
> least) when killing any old br2684ctl processes.
> "unregister_atmdevice_notifier" was added by
> 7313bb8f ("atm: propagate signal changes via notifier") so perhaps
> the unregister
> part was not tested properly for rcu interaction?

it looks like atomic_notifier_chain_unregister() cannot be called in an
atomic context. the only reason there is a lock is to the list of
br2684_devs atomically. however, i think the event handler could be
made to just register/unregister on module load/unload instead.

> So far I haven't noticed any ill effects from the message. Let me
> know if I should test something. Thanks.

it isnt good. it should be fixed. unless someone has a better idea i
will go ahead with the above.