Re: Sudden "hangs"....

From: Wakko Warner
Date: Fri Sep 17 2010 - 13:07:42 EST

Rogier Wolff wrote:
> It seems my home workstation hangs on a "mkdir" once every morning for
> about half a minute. It'll freeze whatever I'm doing and continue
> happily 30 seconds later, but I can't figure out what's going on
> because it's frozen...

One of my volumes was doing this. As someone mentioned earlier, check your
kernel log to see if you have a disk error. On mine, I had no errors. The
activity led for that volume would be on solid until the mkdir completed.
My fix was to create a new directory and move everything over and remove the
old directory. Obviously this won't work if you're having problems with
more than 1 directory or the offending directory is the root of the volume.

Just for information, this volume I have is on a single disk created on the
whole disk (no lvm nor partition).

--
Microsoft has beaten Volkswagen's world record. Volkswagen only created 22
million bugs.