Re: [REGRESSION] cdrom drive doesn't detect removal

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Wed Sep 15 2010 - 09:27:39 EST

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Kay Sievers wrote:
> It's only the polling that should be able to trigger these events for
> the device. the device itself can't report any changes to the host,
> unless you have a SATA drive which can send AN (async notification)
> events. But we disabled the AN support recently, because it was
> running in loops on some boxes.

Is it so widespread or extremely difficult to detect, that it justifies
breaking AN for all users?

Anyway, if userspace thinks AN is available, it won't pool or touch
/dev/sr*, which would explain the problem (but one still would have to find
the root cause: why userspace thinks it doesn't need to pool?).

Henrique Holschuh