Re: [Discussion] USB: musb-gadget: how to fix ZLP issue in musb_g_tx

From: Sergei Shtylyov
Date: Wed Sep 15 2010 - 09:07:37 EST

Ming Lei wrote:
Hi All,

In another thread, Sergei pointed out there is a ZLP issue in musb_g_tx:

Sergei Shtylyov <sshtylyov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello.

On 15-09-2010 14:05, Felipe Balbi wrote:

I didn't say it was duplicate for DMA, just too late.

how come ? we need to send ZLP before giving back the request.

Well, look at the code ionce again. We need to send ZLP *after*
request->actual == request->length, but as the check is inserted
after the ZLP send, ZLP *may* be sent once the first DMA completes,
not the last.

WBR, Sergei

balbi also confirmed that is is really a problem.

I also have two related questions below for the problem:

1), why is the check for "is_dma" needed here?

if (is_dma || request->actual == request->length) {
}

I'm not sure -- it seems erratic.

2), why is a zlp needed in the case below?

#ifdef CONFIG_USB_INVENTRA_DMA
|| (is_dma && (!dma->desired_mode ||
(request->actual & (musb_ep->packet_sz - 1))))
#endif

Seems no request->zero is set to ask for zlp explicitly in
the case above.

This is not for ZLP -- this is here to set TXPktRdy for the last short packet in the Inventra DMA mode 0 that doesn't set TXPktRdy in such case.

IMO, it is not difficult to give a good fix for the ZLP problem
if the two questions are clear.

WBR, Sergei