Re: Why not make LKML-Reference useful?

From: Giel van Schijndel
Date: Tue Sep 14 2010 - 06:17:59 EST

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 05:52:26PM +0800, Lin Ming wrote:
> What's LKML-Reference in the kernel git log?
> In my understanding, it's a link to the original discussion of the
> patch on LKML, for example
>
> LKML-Reference: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=128445596126705&w=2
>
> But I never see such a link in the LKML-Reference of the git log.
>
> Those LKML-Reference are really useless.

No they're not, those are the Message-IDs of the referenced headers
which can be used to search archives with.

> Why not put a link in LKML-Reference?

Now, links OTOH *would* be useless on the long run as there's no single
entity maintaining LKML archives, so whatever entity you link to, you
become dependent on. Having Message-IDs at least allows you to search
any available archive (provided it allows searching on Message-IDs).

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
With kind regards,