Re: [RFC 5/6] x86, NMI, Add support to notify hardware error withunknown NMI

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Sep 13 2010 - 14:37:06 EST

> > But if it's generic if not on the screen it should
> > be at least in the error serialization data and logged after boot.
>
> I guess I don't know what that is, 'error serialization data'. Is
> there somewhere I can read more about it?

That's already supported in MCE -- saving the error record to NVRAM
and logging it after reboot. NMI should probably do the same.
It's much nicer than getting it from a console.

> > At least on PCI-E it may be enough to simply dump all recent AER
> > data.
>
> This assumes AER is supported on the bridge? Which for newer chips is
> probably true, but I wasn't sure about older ones.

Today's servers should usually have AER at least.

For old systems you only can get the few bits in PCI space.

> How would I dump AER data from within the kernel?

Would need a buffer that is dumped for past events and
reading the registers for not yet reported. Right now some
infrastructure is needed.

-Andi
--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.