Re: [34-stable regression] USB delay init quirk causes device eventsloss

From: Phil Dibowitz
Date: Mon Sep 13 2010 - 12:10:39 EST

On 09/13/2010 05:56 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:37:49AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:

>>> With some sort of devices (I cannot reproduce myself). It's unrelated to
>>> wacom -- people with wacom were unable to even start X with this kernel.
>>> If you look at the bugreport, there are several examples:
>>> ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser defunct
>>> Microsoft USB keyboard defunct x Logitech mice OK
>>> 046a:0021 Cherry GmbH keyboard defunct
>>> logitech wireless laptop mouse defunct
>>> A$Tech wireless laptop mouse defunct
>>> TypeMatrix USB 2030 (ID : 1e54:2030) defunct
>>
>> Okay, I see the problem. By moving usb_detect_quirks earlier, we end
>> up calling usb_disable_autosuspend too soon -- before the
>> pm_runtime_enable call in usb_new_device. In 2.6.35 this doesn't
>> matter because the implementation of usb_autosuspend_device has
>> changed.
>>
>> So yes, in the end it looks like the best course is to revert this
>> patch from 2.6.34.stable. This is unfortunate but I don't see any way
>> around it without making changes that aren't present in the current
>> kernel. For example, the pm_runtime_set_active and pm_runtime_enable
>> calls could also be moved from usb_new_device into
>> hub_port_connect_change.
>
> Ok, I'll go revert that from the .34-stable tree and do a new release,
> as it's not nice to have a broken tree out there.

Sorry to chime in late on the conversation on my patch.

Thanks for figuring this out Alan. I think this is reasonable. However, I
think this also went into .32-stable and should probably be reverted there
as well.

I'll advise my users to make sure they have at least .35.

--
Phil Dibowitz phil@xxxxxxxx
Open Source software and tech docs Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss