Re: 2.6.36-rc3 - Unable to build: "Error: input truncated"

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Mon Sep 13 2010 - 01:02:02 EST

Hi.

On 13/09/10 13:11, Randy Dunlap wrote:
On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:07:45 +1000 Nigel Cunningham wrote:

Hi.

On 13/09/10 03:34, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Sunday, September 12, 2010, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
Hi all.

I'm unable to compile the latest kernel and git bisect isn't helping:

Did you try to save .config, run "make distclean" and restore .config?

I hadn't tried that, but had done git reset --hard and make clean
menuconfig bzImage. Trying distclean doesn't help, I'm afraid. Perhaps I
should attach my .config. I'm running a 32 bit kernel/distro on a 64 bit
machine if that makes any difference.

Try to strace scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig to see why it is producing
that error message:

scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig< scripts/mod/empty.o> scripts/mod/elfconfig.h
Error: input truncated

I guess that the empty.o file is not in the expected format.

Yeah. It's zero bytes long.

Who owns that stuff, anyway?

I figured the kbuild guys did, which is why I cc'd them.

You should probably post the empty.o file so that interested parties can
try to debug the problem.

I built the kernel just fine with the .config file that you posted.

Okay. So it's probably something specific to Ubuntu Lucid then. I'll see if I can find the time to do a bisection by hand.

Nigel