Re: disabling group leader perf_event

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Sep 12 2010 - 14:49:27 EST

* Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09/12/2010 08:46 AM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > 1- Most (least abstract) specific code: a block of bytecode in the form
> > of a simplified, executable, kernel-checked x86 machine code block -
> > this is also the fastest form. [yes, this is actually possible.]
> >Well... if we want to be a bit x86-entric.... can we just reuse ACPI
> >interpretter?
>
> I hope this was a joke, ACPI won the academy awards for ugliness,
> slowness, low performance, bad specification, non-generality, and
> probably five other things I forgot. Stay away from it as much as you
> can.

It also combines the worst of the two worlds: it's the most specific
type of code (almost like assembly), but has a very slow interpreter.

With 'x86 bytecode' the main (and pretty much only) point is to be able
to execute the code as-is, once checked.

But, as i explained it before, i only consider it a theoretical
possibility and i think that abstract code (such as ASCII text C source
code) is a better solution.

Thanks,

Ingo