Re: EeePC 900 reboots/hangs when using using perf -a -f -g

From: Frederic Weisbecker
Date: Sun Sep 12 2010 - 09:07:09 EST

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 12:21:05PM +0100, Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 12:57:07PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> >
> > Bisect it?
>
> .35 shows the same issue (although I didn't recompile my perf binary). I
> don't know if this is a regression - it might always have been there...

Testing with a software event like page faults will test if it's related
to hardware events only or some of them.
For example if it doesn't happen in fault events, then let's try with some
others, just to see if we can narrow down to some particular events.

If it happens on faults it will be easier to debug because software events
don't happen in NMI (at least not the faults), so enabling RCU stalls checks
there will probably success to trigger a backtrace. Perhaps you can profile
only one CPU for that (-C 1, eeepc 900 are SMT, right?), so that there is
a free CPU to notice the stall and trigger the backtrace through remote NMIs.