Re: Is via-velocity broken in 2.6.34?

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sat Sep 11 2010 - 18:53:45 EST

From: Matt Causey<matt.causey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 10:42:21 -0700

So it wasn't immediately intuitive that we would need power
management enabled in order to use other parts of the system.

ACPI is not power management.

It's a set of infrastructure (including an interpreter and small
firmware programs to drive specialized hardware) that allows the
important details of your motherboard to be described accurately to
the kernel by firmware authors.

That's why it's called "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface"
and not just "Advanced Power Interface" :-)

It also provides more accurate tables to describe things like
the cpus in your system etc., to replace deprecated mechanisms
for that such as MPS.

I'd think we'd save some trouble if we forced ACPI to on unless EMBEDDED was set or something, to indicate you shouldn't turn it off unless you really know what you're doing..