Re: How to determine the information about SATA controller

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Sat Sep 11 2010 - 06:43:27 EST

Jaswinder Singh Rajput writes:
> Hello,
>
> My old IDE hard disk is broken so I installed new SATA drive on my box with F13:
>
> dmesg :
> http://userweb.kernel.org/~jaswinder/P4_HT/dmesg_2633_fc13.txt
>
> lsmod:
> http://userweb.kernel.org/~jaswinder/P4_HT/lsmod_2633_fc13.txt
>
> lspci:
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM
> Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated
> Graphics Controller (rev 02)
> 00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P Processor to
> I/O Memory Interface (rev 02)
> 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
> 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC
> Interface Bridge (rev 02)
> 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE
> Controller (rev 02)
> 00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
>
> I am trying to build the kernel with this config:
> http://userweb.kernel.org/~jaswinder/P4_HT/config-ht-test.txt
>
> But I am getting error :
>
> No root device found.
> Boot has failed, sleeping forever
>
> I am trying to determine the information about the SATA controller so
> that I can choose the appropriate controller for SATA in kernel
> config. I am not able to figure out the SATA information from above
> dmesg and lsmod. How can I do so.

In your working dmesg the disks are controlled by ata_piix,
but you've disabled CONFIG_ATA_PIIX in the config you're trying.
So it's not surprising that you can't boot.

1) re-enable CONFIG_ATA_PIIX and disable CONFIG_IDE
or
2) go into the bios and change the option that says whether to run
the ATA controller in legacy/compatible mode or enhanced/ahci mode,
you want ahci mode