2458 days of Linux development - some stats and thoughts

From: Jan III Sobieski
Date: Fri Sep 10 2010 - 17:07:45 EST

Hi,

I'm sending some stats from 2.6 kernel development process in the attachment.

It seems to me that the kernel development is moving in really good direction:
- stable trees were a good invention
- long supported stable trees were even a better invention :)
- most changes are tested before inclusion in the tree next
- development of new drivers in the staging was a very good idea
- regression tracking works better and better
- latest Linus strict stabilization policy seems to be the next great milestone

What's next? Tracking changes in kernel performance and eliminating
performance regressions would be IMHO a great feature of Linux
development process :)

Phoronix is already doing such tests, but they do this to write
another "oh my god, this slowed down" article.

Perhaps the inclusion of Phoronix Test Suite to Autotest would be a
good idea? Once the automatic tests were made on autotest.kernel.org

Regards,

Jan III Sobieski